Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Beach Book Review: My Sister's Keeper

So, on day 3 of the family trip I completed My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. I think I mentioned in a previous post that the first few chapters had me and I wasn't sure I would be able to emotionally complete it. The story is about a sister that was conceived with the primary purpose to be for her to supply blood from the umbilical cord for her older sister with leukemia. So, the child was diagnosed at age 2 (the age of my Monkey) and the story is told from the parents and siblings points of view. I was told it ends differently than the movie and is not what you expect in the final pages. It hit many different emotional strings with me as a mother with small children and someone that lost a dear friend 1 1/2 years ago to leukemia. So many of the medical terms used in the book were things I heard for the first time when Steckler was sick and fighting the battle that eventually took her precious and young life.

I am ready to see the movie, but am very skeptical of Cameron Diaz playing the mom. I just wonder how a single female that has never been married and is without children could truly portray the mother in this film.

1 comment:

mary-kathryn herrington said...

it made me cry! and i heard the movie has a totally different ending?

Stiemy's Birthday