Thursday, January 17, 2008

Random thoughts about friends & prayers

There have been so many songs written over the years about friends. The first one that came into my head this morning on my commute in to the office was Michael W. Smith’s “Friends”:

Friends are friends forever if the Lord’s the Lord of them. And a friend cannot say never and the welcome will not end”

Now the one that pops into my head is “I’ve God Friends in Low Places”. Man can my mind go in a million and one different directions. Guess that is just like any conversation someone has with me, it is all over the place.

The reason for the ushy gush so early? Good question. My heart is full of prayers right now for some very special people. First, my nephew Hartley is heavy on my heart. As I type he is preparing for open heart surgery. He is 18 months old and is receiving a new heart valve this morning at CHOP.

My sister-in-law Carmen (married to Brian’s brother) has just found out in the last week that her father has cancer that is already in Stage 4. They are still unclear which path they will take medically, but cancer is just crap in my opinion.

Also, my sweet friend Leigh is working hard to take care of her father who is hospitalized after a horrific car accident before Christmas. Thankfully, he is going to be ok but the weeks that have passed have been draining for her physically and emotionally. She and her family and the other families involved need our prayers.

I often wonder what I would do without my Heavenly Father and without my friends. Thank the Lord that my parents taught me how to love and trust God, value my friends and to be quite frank…how to pick’em! I have some of the absolute best friends that anyone could ask for in the whole wide world.

We have friends that we talk to daily, friends that we talk to weekly and friends that we may not even see yearly. It never ceases to amaze me that after long periods of time of not talking or seeing some friends that you pick right back up where you left off. Those friendships are treasures. One of these type friends of mine, Molly, sent this great devotion to me today about things we should try to do as mothers so our children will see God through us. It was great and I will save it for another day to share. In the meantime, here is something that the devotion said that also struck a chord with me.
“When times of crisis, conflict or confusion arise, I will hit my knees before I hit the phone knowing that by my example my children will discover that although friends are important, God alone is the one who holds the solution to life's every problem.”

This hit the nail on the head. God alone holds the solution to life’s problems. Lord, my prayer to you right at this moment is that as our family goes in to kiss Hartley’s forehead one more time that they will feel the comfort of Our Healer wrapping His arms around him. He is not only in the doctors hands today, but always in God’s!

If I was in Philly, I would be wiggling his toes for fear of spreading unwanted germs. Maybe you can feel the wiggle now, V! It use to make one of my most amazing friends smile.

1 comment:

and 2 became 5 said...

Said big prayer for the little guy today. I'll check his caringbridge site for more info, but I hope all is ok.

Stiemy's Birthday