Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Get To Know Me (and you) during Christmas


The whole reason I am even trying to be cool with this blogging stuff is my friend MSKS. I found this list of questions from her blog that I do think she copied from someone else and I thought- “fabulous idea”. So here it goes. Let’s get to know your Christmas traditions….

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? I do love a wrapped present and how it looks under the tree. However, most of the wrapped presents under my tree now are because I bought them and the store did the work for me. I have never done those corners well. Always wondered about the movie presents where they just lift the box off the top with a beautiful ribbon. Not sure if that would be fun or not. However, I must admit that I am guilty about a bag and tissue paper as it gets closer to Christmas day. The husband hates it and thinks that is the easy way out, don’t see him helping wrap though!
2. Tree--Real or Artificial? I have ALWAYS had a real tree. Just last year my mother gave and bought a pre-lit artificial. My mother-in-law did that this year and offered to buy us one. I just hate the idea of my girls not growing up with the excitement of going to find “the” tree. However, I must admit that some of my vivid Christmas memories include my Dad sighing heavily and trying to find the tree from Ms. T’s that didn’t have a crooked trunk. I think taking the stand with us to have the “pros” put it in the stand is worth paying for a tree alone. This year the McCaskills have 2 trees: a fun white pre lit with colors artificial tree in the kitchen (with the retro Christmas tree skirt I grew up with in
Clarksdale). This tree dons those ornaments that the girls love and that we have inherited that really don’t “match” the red, gold and purple theme I have going on the real one!
3. When do you put Christmas tree up? Always after Thanksgiving. This year it went up and stood “naked” for a few days, then we added the lights and about a week after that the decorations went up!
4. When do you take the tree down? I grew up “knowing” that the tree must come down before New Year’s Eve or it was bad luck. When we return from celebrating Christmas, I am pretty much ready for the tree to hit the street or a lake to attract the fish!
5. Like egg nog? Not the store bought type. I have always grown up with my Granny bringing Egg Nog from
Memphis and it is ALWAYS in the “egg nog” Tupperware container. Not sure it would taste the same. I can’t say I love it, but it isn’t Christmas with our “spiked” egg nog in a Christmas mug on Christmas morning. Just one mug full and then off for something else.
6. Do you have a nativity scene? Of course and it is one of the first things we put out each year (probably because it is the easiest. My in-laws started my Fontanini collection before I married into the family. It is fun to unbox each piece and have the princess place it. When you come in to our house, you will know who has decorated that area. It is either Daddy or the princess because everything is in a perfect line (of course she does have everyone looking right at Baby Jesus). One of my memories I have of growing up and playing at my grandmothers’ in Shaw, MS is her nativity scene. I am sure it was nothing “fine” but I remember it had a light that would switch on and off and I know exactly which cabinet it was kept in and would play with it year round. Wish I had it now to share my girls.
7. Favorite gift received as a child? There are many gifts that stand out:
The Barbie multi story mansion with the elevator, the dollhouse that the princess and my niece play with now that is at my moms, my
Olivia Newton John “Let’s Get Physical” record (little brother got the Michael Jackson Thriller that year). Also, it seems that I got the twin Cabbage Patch kids that year (Andrew and Annalise). Obviously, it was all about the dolls!
8. Hardest person to buy for? Probably my daddy. Anyone else out there shop for someone that insists he wants nothing?
9. Easiest person to buy for? My husband.
10. Worst Christmas gift? I can’t think of what my worst would be (plus why would I say if that person still buys for me, I might get coal this year). However, I do remember my dad giving my mama one year a jigsaw puzzle (fun for the whole family), a swiss army knife (practical) and a whirlpool/Jacuzzi bath mat to place in the bottom of a tub (it had a hose that attached to the pump). Wow, what a year! However, he has made up for that over the years with great jewelry!
11. Mail or email a Christmas Card? Snail mail all the way! I love getting the cards out of the mailbox each afternoon, opening to see everyone’s kids and hanging them around my house. Also, it is fun to have mail that isn’t a bill!
12. Favorite Christmas movie? Does
“Meet Me in St. Louis” count. Seems like there was a Christmas scene in it. Also, “The Sound of Music” I like to watch it on Christmas night when the network shows it. Other than that I do like “Christmas Vacation” and “It’s a Wonderful Life”.
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? I buy my first gifts in July when Judy C. Martin’s puts their Christmas china ½ off for Christmas in July. After that I bought my nephew something in San Francisco. Then I thought I was in good shape since I had started “early” only to find out 2 weeks ago, that I better get on it!
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Not on purpose. Well, now that I say that I may have recycled some Christmas napkins that were given to me one year.
15. Favorite food to eat on Christmas? Hmmmm…..lobster in Clarksdale on Christmas Eve, followed by pluckin bread on Christmas morning and then beef tenderloin with twice baked potatoes followed by Death by Chocolate for dessert. Did somebody say food?
16. Clear or colored tree lights? As you will see from the above answer to #2, colored lights don my white artificial tree and white go on “my” green tree. However, I am really into the “funky” décor right now and think I could do color everywhere!
17. Favorite Christmas Song? I just have to say “Christmas in Dixie” (…down in Jackson, MS…). Also, I love “Drummer Boy”, “O Holy Night” and if you haven’t heard “Happy Birthday, Jesus” (sung by a 4 ½ year old) I will try to download it after the princess Christmas play on Friday.
18. Travel during Christmas or Stay home? We leave before Christmas and come home after we have done the tour of the delta! One day we will stay put, for now we are travelers!
19. Can you name Santa's reindeer? Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixon, Donner, Comet, Cupid and Blitzin and Rudolph. How many were there? Still not sure when Rudolph became part of the team because he is not mentioned in the “Night Before Christmas”
20. Angel or Star on tree top? Gold star on mine and of course a pink one on the fake in the kitchen.
21. Open presents on Christmas Eve or morning? Always Christmas morning. We do Christmas with the McCaskill clan a few days before but only because of the traveling schedule. Growing up we did open 1 on Christmas Eve and it was always pajamas to sleep in.
22. Most annoying thing about this time of year? County Line Road and the songs that mention snow, because here in the South have you ever seen snow on Christmas morning? Most importantly, the stores and people that refuse to say Merry Christmas because of the Christ that is mentioned. Anyone remember without Christ there is no Christmas. Even the princess can tell you that! If you took away all the gifts, Santa, the tree and all that comes with that it would still be Christmas. “Happy Birthday Jesus. I am so glad it’s Christmas”….

No comments:

Stiemy's Birthday