Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Postmistress by Sarah Blake

Three weeks ago on a trip to Las Vegas for work, I needed new reading material. So, I shopped around (in the ATL) and read different book reviews to find the perfect new read. I stumbled across The Postmistress and I had not heard of it or the author. What grabbed me was this on the cover:

“I’m telling everyone I know to read this book.”-Kathryn Stockett, author of The Help.

Kathryn Stockett wrote possibly one of my favorite books of all times. I totally fell in love with all the characters and still wish I could find a Minnie to come live with me in Mississippi. So, after reading Kathryn Stockett recommended it, I was sold on the overpriced book in the ATL bookstore!

Honestly, I pushed my way through it and none of the characters really grabbed me (like Minnie). MSKS gave me the book The Sanctuary of Outcasts and I was really eager to get started on it. Finally last night I read the last pages of The Postmistress. While Stiemy tried to ask me questions about what I was reading (don’t you love when someone is trying to talk to you and you are trying to finish a book?) Of course, by the title he was convinced (or maybe just irritating me) I was reading some trashy love story about a “mistress”. I tried to explain to him the setting was during WWII (World War 2 not Weight Watchers) and the postmistress is the lady that ran the small post office. He was not convinced, men!

There were several different key characters in the story. A doctor and his wife, a female war correspondent (that’s what we call them today), a paranoid man worried the Germans were going to invade America and The Postmistress. Of course, in the end all these characters evolved and came into each other’s life. Although, this was strictly fiction there were parts that were true and historic. Several of Edward Murrow’s radio broadcasts were quoted, the Jews were under horrible scrutiny and being forced to leave their homes.

I believe one of the key points to Sarah Blake’s story was that while all these horrible actions are going on in other parts of the world (outside of the US) Americans are oblivious for the most part. We continue to go to the movies, work, church, Starbucks and the mall. Spring Break trips and summer vacations and what the kids will wear for Easter in 2 weeks are on everyone’s mind
Yes, I realize how shallow and self-centered the last few lines were and I’m as guilty about these actions as my other fellow Americans. What I hope to learn as I store this book on a shelf, is to never forget the nightmare so many others in this world are experiencing. To remember that God loves them as much as He loves me and that I’m thankful to live in America. Today, I’m praying extra hard that our government doesn’t take these freedoms away from us during this administration.

Will I recommend this book to others? The verdict is still out on that one.

No comments:

Stiemy's Birthday